The below article refers to AdBlock for the legacy Edge browser. For more information about the new and improved AdBlock for the new version of the Edge browser, please see this blog post.
If you're having trouble installing AdBlock for Edge or other Edge extensions, it is almost certainly either a Windows Store issue or an issue with a recent build of Windows 10.
First please try updating your Windows Store app (from Win10 Store, Settings > Downloads and Updates > Check for updates) and then try installing AdBlock again. See this post in the Microsoft Community forum for details.
If you're still getting an error when you try to install AdBlock, try Googling the error code. For instance, if you're getting error code 0x80070490, we found this Windows10Insider.com article to solve it. For error code 0x80070422, try this post in the Microsoft Community forum. For error code 0x800704CF, make sure you aren't using a proxy server or VPN. If you are, temporarily disable the proxy server or disconnect the VPN.
If neither of these suggestions helps, here are some additional steps you can try. Do the steps in order, proceeding to the next only if the previous step didn't help.
1. Try resetting Edge's settings to the default, then install AdBlock from the Windows Store.
2. Some users have reported that removing their Microsoft account from their computer, then adding it again, has allowed them to install AdBlock. First you'll need to log in locally. Follow the instructions in this article from WindowsCentral.com (just don't entirely delete your Microsoft account!).
Bonus tip: Try sideloading AdBlock for Edge
You can try installing the AdBlock for Edge extension manually, bypassing the Windows Store, using a method called sideloading.
Note: If you install AdBlock without going through the Windows Store, you will need to turn on AdBlock every time you launch Edge. You will also not get updates automatically. This is a temporary workaround, not a permanent solution.
- Get the AdBlock for Edge installation file from http://code.getadblock.com/releases/. Download the most recent file and unzip it. This is the folder you'll use in Step 6 of the instructions below.
- Follow these instructions for sideloading an extension in Microsoft Edge.
- Click the More (...) button and select Extensions.
- Point to the AdBlock button and select the Settings cog.
- Under AdBlock, click the button to toggle the setting to On.