The official browser extension stores and our website, https://getadblock.com, are the only safe places to get AdBlock. If you installed AdBlock (or an extension with a similar name to AdBlock) from anywhere else, it may contain adware or malware that can infect your computer. AdBlock is open source software, which means that anyone can take our code and use it for their own, sometimes nefarious, purposes. And unfortunately, there have been issues with fake ad blockers pretending to be popular ad blockers (such as AdBlock) for the sole purpose of spreading malware.
If you believe you may have downloaded a fake version of AdBlock, here's what we recommend you do:
- Uninstall the extension(s).
- Exit your browser.
- Open your browser (if you sync your browser settings across computers, be sure you're signed in to your synced profile).
- Confirm that sync no longer installs the extension automatically (if it does, try these suggestions).
- Remove malware from your computer, if needed.
- To install the real AdBlock, visit https://getadblock.com/ and click Get AdBlock Now.
This should make sure you're installing a clean copy of AdBlock after removing any trace of malware the bad extension may have left behind.